Kelley Day

 Miss Eco Philippines competes in int'l finals

By Nico Erle Ciriaco


Miss Eco Philippines Kelley Day is in Sharm el-Sheikh in Egypt for the Miss Eco International finals. She will compete with over 60 other hopefuls in this environment-anchored platform. The pre-pageant events started on March 18, and runs until the coronation night on April 4. But the post-coronation activities will go on until April 6.

Her send off party in Taguig City last Mar 11, posted on the Miss World Philippines (msworldphils) IG page, showed her MWP 2019 sisters - reigning Miss Eco Teen Int'l RoAn Tamondong, Reina Hispanoamericana runner-up Katrina Llegado, and Miss World Philippines Michelle Dee - together with actors Raymund Bagatsing and David Chua, giving their well-wishes. Miss Multinational Isabela de Leon, who was still overseas during the event, will compete in her pageant finals in June.

"The Philippines, like the rest of the world, has been going through a lot recently and, hopefully, if I can bring some happiness, some hope; be a beacon of light for the people - as they look forward to my competition, my journey, my experience, and outcome - if I will bring home the crown.

"I hope I can bring joy to the people. It's my motivation, my goal for this competition to make the Philippines proud. And I would like to thank our national director, Arnold Vegafria, for believing in me, even when I didn't believe in myself," said Kelley, a former member of the all-girl dance group, Girl Trends.

The venue of the competition is an isolated resort that's far from public areas. "RoAn's journey last December gave me an idea on how safe it was there because she also competed in Egypt. Her victory did not pressure me but rather gave me more confidence. I find it so inspiring talaga."

Kelly's preparations started in Jan 2020 when she thought she would be leaving in March of last year. And then the global pandemic happened. "I had to understand Covid-19 as much as possible. I looked out at all the sources and know the intensity and how to be safe. Getting swabbed periodically was a great challenge for me, mentally.

"One of the lessons I learned from the pandemic is not to trust boys! Also, don't let a heartbreak get in the way. For most of last year, I felt down because it's difficult to be locked down with only myself to talk to. I felt socially introverted for a while," shared the budding Kapuso artist.

From Manila, Kelley's flight had a 4/5-hour layover in Abu Dhabi before flying to Cairo. From there, she took a domestic flight to Sharm el-Sheikh. 

"As against showbiz work where people help you out, in pageants you are on your own. Yet, pageants are a once-in-a- lifetime opportunity. Young girls who would be given that opportunity should grab it. You don't develop attributes over a short period of time. Character comes from being raised a certain way."

When Kelley returns from Egypt next month, hopefully with a crown and title in tow, she'll be back working before the cameras. "With my pageant experience, I can bring more set of skills to the projects that will come my way."

The Miss World Philippines franchise has, under its umbrella, other titles such as Miss Multinational, Reina Hispanoamericana, Miss Tourism, Miss Eco Teen International, Miss Eco International,, and the newly acquired Miss Supranational.

During the Miss Eco Int'l Talent Presentation, Kelley sang a slow version of Britney Spears' dance hit, "Toxic."

Kelley was one of the Top 10 candidates who tackled the Miss Eco fitness challenges.

During the colloquium on the "Sustainable Development Goals" of the UNDP, she was garbed in an off-the-shoulder jumpsuit by Antipolo-based fashion designer Joseph Palma.


At the close of the National Costume competition, Kelley emerged as the top winner. She wore a highly-stylized modern take of the Philippine terno with a filigreed panuelo by Louis Pangilinan.



Comments

Popular Posts