Sinosikat

 Kat Agarrado's much-awaited comeback

By Earl D.C. Bracamonte

Lead vocalist Kat Agarrado of the Sinosikat band returns to the local music scene after a lengthy moment of introspection. Fans and friends flocked to the 12 Monkeys Music Hall & Pub at the Estancia Mall; filling it to the rafters. This outpouring of support bodes well for the singer-songwriter who, for a time, thought of leaving behind the music industry.

Kat performed songs from her two previous albums, including her newest single, "Heart Calling," an upbeat composition that will be released by Warner Music Philippines and her own label, Pinoy Soul Records.

"My record label will be there to help other up-and:coming artists, especially those who are short of resources. It's my way of giving back, just as other artists paved the way for my entry into the music scene before.

Her forthcoming album, which includes "Heart Calling," is slated for release within the year. It is a fitting follow-up to the band's first two releases: the self-titled debut album "Sinosikat" and their sophomore recording "2nd Album." Formed in 2004, Kat wants to continue the 20-year-old legacy of Sinosikat.

"The first and second albums were recorded with different band mates. Some of them went abroad while others settled down with their respective families. I wrote all the songs and produced them. Others I co-produced with friends. I prefer to be part of a band than be a solo performer.

"The songs I've written are not really emotional, and they were penned from an autobiographical perspective. I listen to Pinoy funk of the 70s. Now, I reintroduce funk, jazz, and Pinoy soul to a much wider contemporary audience. My songs are timeless compositions that will remain fresh, despite the passage of time," Kat told members of the media, during an intimate press conference, hours before performing on stage.

Kat started singing professionally since she was 16. 

"During the pandemic, I was ready to retire. I was ready to relax. I was even ready to leave the music scene. I had a kid and I was taking care of the family. I was spending my time wisely. But my heart was still calling like I still had something to do. Something to give. I was praying and asking for signs. The heavens answered. Doors were opening and opportunities started coming in. It was hard to say no. Listen to your heart and do the things you want to pursue," she added.

In 2007, their self-titled debut album was met with critical acclaim and went on to bag the "Vocalist of the Year" distinction at the NU Rock Awards.

"When I started, I went for Rock elements. Now, my music is more polished, more mature. And the band has a horn section for a more distinct sound. 2023 was a confusing year. But when 2024 came, I was sure of what I was going to do. Most of what I do is based on instinct; play with the band and have a good time. When I'll be ready to do collaborations again, I'd love to do one with Lola Amor," shared Kat at the close of the media presser.

While the group disappeared from the local performance scene for quite some time, Sinosikat is back on the music scene - with a new album, regular performance schedules, and a new single to boot.

Comments

Popular Posts