Anyong Tubig

 Master watercolorists present works in group exhibition

By Earl D.C. Bracamonte

Fourteen masters of the watercolor genre will come together in a one-of-a-kind exhibition at the LRI Design Plaza in Makati City. Simply dubbed "Anyong Tubig (Images on Water)," the said exhibit opened on March 27, 2021.

Pinky Peralta, president of the Philippine Guild of Watercolorists (PGW), will display some of her latest works that include "Kitchen Mess," "Sa Buslo," "Mama's Favorite Things," "Behind The Curtains," The Barber" (all sized 14" x 20"), "Blue Iris" (15" x 20"), "Convalescence," "Boracay 1," "Boracay 2," and "Secret Garden" (sized 15"x 21").

"Art found me when I was a young girl, nurtured by the oil paintings of my grandfather, a self-taught artist. Years later, while I was studying Interior Design at UP Diliman - another form of art lived in my heart - my love for watercolor was ignited at the summer workshops that I joined.

"But it wasn't until November 2016 that I embraced watercolor painting in full expression and pursuit. Watercolor, for me, captures the fluidity and translucence not palpable in other media. Its immediacy and effervescence provide a more spontaneous and energetic expression as a brushstroke releases water and pigment to do their work.

"My watercolor journey has been blessed by art lessons locally and internationally under masters such as Yuko Nagayama of Japan, Alvaro Castagnet of Uruguay, Prafull Sawant of India, Eudes For tea of Portugal, as well as Charles Reid and Stanley Miller of the United States. These master colonists impacted a lasting impression on the style that I would later harness as my own.

"At present, after doing my one woman show at the Gateway Gallery last November 2020 and a series of exhibits in watercolor, I am happy to share my knowledge by conducting watercolor workshops through the Pinky Peralta Studio. I am also the current president of Philippine Guild of Watercolorists, a group known internationally as IWS Philippines. 

The other master watercolorists featured in the "Anyong Tubig" exhibit are Edgar Doctor, Yeye Caderon, Buds Convocar, Nani Gacho, Sen Lacson, Jerry de la Rosa, Kyle Legaspi, Gilbert Miraflor, Jinky Rayo, Ebson Sevilleno, Emmanuel Silva, Iris Babao Uy, and Vino Yanuario.

"Anyong Tubig (Images on Water)" unfolded at the 2nd level of the LRI Design Plaza along Nicanor Garcia St. in Makati City, and will be open for public viewing during gallery hours.


Pinky's 15" x 20" entry, "Unang Prutas," was one of twelve works who were given an Appreciation Award at the 1st International Watercolor Festival in Russia.

The other eleven recipients were Amit Kapoor (India), Aulikki Nukala (Finland), Dieter Westemp (Germany), Fernando Thienpondt (Belgium), Gonzalo Vargas Garrido (Chile), Hannie Rieuwerts (Netherlands), Isabel Alosete (Spain), Lizabeta Antropova (Belarus), Nader Mohazabnia (Iran), Selma Todorova (Bulgaria), and Tere Lojero (Mexico).

The international watercolor festival was curated by Galina Shargina, Natalia Popova, and Sareh Mohebeian of IWS Russia.


Comments

Popular Posts