Nigeria

A Filipino designer made Maristella Okpala's winning national costume

By Earl D.C. Bracamonte

Miss Universe Nigeria 2021 Maristella Okpala won this year's Best National Costume. The winning ensemble, created by Filipino designer John Kennedy Gaspar, was inspired from "Mmanwa," a traditional Nigerian masquerade designed for ceremonial and festive purposes to celebrate heritage that highlights women's strengths.

The humungous 3-foot mask/shield was crafted with African beads and stones. The "Mmanwa" is said to have tirelessly stop the mutilation of young female children.

"I chose this costume because of self reflection. I felt it reflected my advocacy to protect both women and children against any form of abuse," enthused Miss Nigeria in a social media post.

In a Facebook post, the 20-year-old designer from San Mateo, Isabela wrote, "Thank you, Lord! I cannot really believe it. I cried earlier while hugging my mama. Thank you, too, to all who congratulated me."

This is the second time that John Kennedy Gaspar created a costume for a Miss Universe entrant. In the 69th edition, he also made Miss Universe Cameroon 2020 Angele Kossido's fabulous ensemble.

Comments

Popular Posts