Ian Veneracion

 Matinee idol stages first of three concerts for 2023

By Earl D.C. Bracamonte

Multi-talented singer-actor Ian Veneracion will hold the first of his three concerts for the year in mid-August. This will be followed by the Pampanga show in October, and the December concert in Talavera.

"I've been doing provincial and international gigs more often, but not as a solo performer. For the August show, I'll try out new songs and will be singing chill music with a full band. The repertoire is based on my taste, which resonates with my fans and supporters. In shows like this, it is important to connect with a live audience because that's where you get an instant feedback! Surprisingly, the Gen Z crowd has slowly crept into my fan base. They somehow appreciate some of the songs we grew up with.

"I've been performing with my bandmates for quite a time now - it's an accumulation of little things playing together. The audience is aware of my rapport with the band. I've been playing the piano and guitar since I was 11. I've been with music all my life, though, initially, I felt shy performing," revealed the MMFF 2022 Best Actor, who won for his role as 'Chief' in the suspense-thriller "Nanahimik andg Gabi."

Ian has performed with Ogie Alcasid in Geneva, Canada, and the US. Ogie produced his Music Museum concert 'Ian: In Color.' Ian even did a duet with his wife Regine in another show. His second show on October 7 will feature guest star Nina in Pampanga, while the December 2 show will happen at the Crystal Wave in Talavera.

"Ian sang before he acted. He was a part of the RPN-9 sitcom "Joey and son" in 1982, and I was a fan. I also saw him perform here in Winford during the Chinese New Year festivities. This will be the same production that we will bring to Pampanga and Talavera. A portion of the proceeds will go to the Golden Gays," enthused show director Vergel Sto. Domingo.

"The more I understand painting or sculpture, I understand music so much better and vice versa. There are emotions that are hard to express, except on the canvas," revealed Ian at the open forum of an intimate media huddle at the Winford Manila Ballroom, venue of his forthcoming concert. 

Being an artist for four decades, Ian also dabbles in the visual arts. But his eclectic interests also sees him jump out of planes as a skydiver, do paragliding, boating, sailing, and ride motorbikes. Despite these daredevil stunts, he still got the jitters during his very first foray into the concert scene. He first performed for Sharon Cuneta in her US concert.

"I came from a family of pilots. I'm a friend with the wind now. Doing something dangerous makes you aware of safety precautions. I've seen the Philippines from the air, land, and water that's why I promote our country to everybody.

"Power comes in needing less. Others amass more as they get older. When I reached my '40s, I started subtracting. It's the quality of the experience, not the quantity. We are only here for a short time.  There are many ways to see things through different lenses; like I see clouds differently as a kid or as a pilot," intoned Ian, who has already released a recording with Star Records.

Ian has also recorded three original songs: "We're All Alone" on guitar; "I Miss You The Most" for his wife, Pam Gallardo; as well as "Ninuno."

"I am straightforward with my boundaries, especially with my fans. Englishman in New Year is my favorite song because I felt like an alien, even when born to full-blooded Filipino parents and growing up here. My musical influences include Eric Clapton, Sting, and BB King, among others," he said in closing.

Ian Veneracion Live unfolds on August 12, 8 pm at the Winford Manila Ballroom. Directed by Vergel Sto. Domingo, the show also features guest performers Marissa Sanchez and Zach Ponce. For inquiries, simply get in touch with VCSD Productions through mobile # 0961-3600457.

Comments

Popular Posts