Rabiya Mateo

 Fans welcome the queen's return

By Earl D.C. Bracamonte

After her stint in the 69th Miss Universe edition, and close to a two-month extended stay, visiting 14 cities in the US, Miss Universe Philippines 2020 Rabiya Mateo has returned to the country in time for the pre-pageant activities of the forthcoming national pageant. She is currently undergoing the requisite quarantine protocol and will be in confinement for the next ten days.

"I was having a hard time booking my flight. But, I did my best so now that I've come back we're gonna celebrate, after my quarantine, this mini-victory of being able to continue the winning streak of the Philippines for 11 years! Can you imagine that? We are blessed and I am very happy as I am privileged to be a representative - not just of Iloilo but the whole country. It was a rollercoaster ride and I learned a lot," shared the Ilongga beauty.

Aside from Washington, D.C., Rabiya was also seen donning the Philippine terno in the streets of New York, prior to her trip home. Her Washington visit was part of a fund-raising campaign against cancer.

"My grandmother, who helped my mom in raising me, died of cancer. There was this question that if there's one thing in this world I want to change, what would it be and why. I want to eliminate cancer. It destroys a lot of beautiful stories. It puts an end to a lot of lives. That's why for opportunities where we can extend help, like a fund-raising, we should as it can add years to lives and add quality life to see stories of these people,"

During one of her nights out, Rabiya had dinner with Hollywood director Cyrus Nowrasteh who helmed the film "The Young Messiah."

"I'll be joining showbusiness soon. I'm thinking of doing a TV magazine show like "Kapuso Mo, Jessica Soho." Kasi madaldal ako and I like interviewing people. It's an easier stint than being a beauty queen competing in an international stage.

"Joining pageantry gives a lot of changes but it's the character build-up in a story and a twist towards competing in the Miss Universe that's noteworthy. It's not just a test of character but also a test of faith. What I love about this journey is that I was able to appreciate myself even better, and how much I worked hard to achieve the things I want in life.

"Miss Universe is not the end, it's only the beginning of something beautiful that is about to come and I'm very much excited for the opportunities and chances that good people are about to give me for my future. Coming from nothing, this is a change for me to have and establish a secured life," intoned Rabiya.

Like titleholders before her, she, too, is smitten by the showbiz bug.

"Netizens are more tolerable of artistas than beauty queens. As a beauty queen, there's so much pressure to be that perfect Filipina with perfect communication skills, great body, and perfect in all aspects.

"But, as a celebrity you can show your funny side and be vulnerable as you want. Now, I'm ready for anything. I've been through the worst of life. I need to have a different mindset because I'm about to enter showbusiness. It's not gonna be easy but I think it's easier than being Miss Universe Philippines."

Rabiya sees herself living in the United States in the next five to ten years practicing her profession as a physical therapist.

"There are lots of Filipino communities here so I won't feel alone or lonely. I still didn't find my dad. My doors are still open to meeting my father here in the States. But, who knows, one day I might meet him and be able to talk to him. I understand of his reservations to meet me. He has his own family now.

"As to my lovelife, that's only one phase of my life. Someday, there's gonna be a person who'll love me for who I am," quipped Rabiya at the close of her tete-a-tete with the Philippine Cancer Society in Washington, one of her last events before returning to Manila.

*

Image from Instagram

Comments

Popular Posts