Chances Are, You & I

 Kelvin and Kira star in rom-com partly shot in Korea 

By Earl D.C. Bracamonte 

If our lives are already predetermined, do we really have a choice on what to do? This is the dilemma that Pocket Media Production's initial film project, "Chances Are, You & I," is trying to tackle.

Two people, who are polar opposites with their perspective on life and death - one a pessimist, the other an optimist - meet in a hospital where they discover that they have the same illness (brain tumor). Intrigued by each other, they set on an adventure with a flip of a coin. Their journey finds them at odds, yet a growing friendship starts to blossom between them.

"It's my first time to travel abroad. And this is also my first movie, so I felt how it was to be working on a movie set. Kira and I gave our all to this project. It was really cold in Korea during the shoot; the shivers seem to go away everytime Direk CC shouts 'Action' and would return in full force once she calls out 'Cut.' I've also learned to deal with pain; embrace it and go through with it for my role because Sol was a happy kid but grew up with a lot of angst. You just can't escape responsibility though.

"I'm into extreme sports so it helped with my daredevil attitude in the film. I trained for my motocross scenes for safety. The adrenaline rush truly makes you feel alive. As part of my bucket list, I would love to tour around the world on a bike. The reasons we have are what make us strong," shared Kelvin.

Helmed by seasoned director Catherine "CC" Camarillo, the romantic comedy stars Kelvin Miranda (Sol Sikat) and Kira Balinger (Gabi Sinag). "Happiness is not a destination, it is the journey. When you're conflicted between two decisions, do you simply toss a coin? Or will you know what you truly want before the coin lands on the palm of your hands?

"We make choices that would mold our destiny. But somehow, even without knowing which choice to make, it is inevitable that we face the consequences that are created by the circumstances and factors that come into play. That's why the choices we make are very important.

"One of the challenges we faced during filming was the weather. We shot scenes on a February, which is still winter in Korea. We had 33 Filipino crew members and seven forming part of our Korean team. The screenplay was written by my 27-year-old daughter. Strangely, while this is a rom-com, she never had a boyfriend in real life. I'm very hands on as director and producer. We seek validation with our decisions. Whatever you choose, simply face the consequences," intimated Direk CC, who co-directed such highly-successful teleseryes like "Halik " and "Wildflower," among others.

The film's official trailer will roll out starting May 8. There will also be an offshore premier screening in Japan on May 25 and 26. Plus, a Philippines premier on May 28 at the SM Megamall cinema.

"We achieved a different kind of focus on the set. I brought my character with so much passion. In some scenes, I wasn't sure if I cried because of too much emotion or the biting cold. My hurt, in the film, gets easier to deal with, with the help of Sol (Kelvin's character). My overall experience filming in both Manila and Korea was wonderful," enthused Kira, during an intimate colloquy.

"Chances Are, You and I" is a co-production of Pocket Media and Happy Infinite, and will be distributed by Regal Entertainment. Korean movie star Nam Ji Hoon makes a special appearance in the movie. The rom-com will hit cinemas, nationwide, on May 29, 2024.

Comments

Popular Posts