La Bayadere
Ballet Manila mounts classical production on love and redemption
By Earl D.C. Bracamonte
Ballet Manila (BM) closes its Prima Season with Marius Petipa's "La Bayadere," a three-act ballet set in Royal India about a temple dancer (bayadere) who is embroiled in a deadly love triangle.
“La Bayadere is the epitome of classical ballet as it holds a special place in Ballet Manila. We last performed it 13 years ago, with me playing the lead character, Nikiya. This is a great classical piece and audiences would find what they seek in a ballet production.
“This show brings together generations of artists from both Mariinsky Ballet and Ballet Manila. La Bayadere has the most demanding roles in the entire ballet repertoire. This was the last ballet I was in from my Swan Song series that included Swan Lake, Romeo & Juliet, and Carmen.
“This was also the last ballet I watched before leaving Russia. This is very sentimental for me. It makes me feel nostalgic seeing dancers from where i started,” shared BM’s CEO and artistic director.
Leading the cast are Mariinsky Ballet’s principal dancers Renata Shakirova (playing Nikiya) and Kimin Kim (playing Solor).
“La Bayadere is not an easy ballet as it requires technique. I’ve danced as Solor since I was 17 in Korea, and it is one of my favorite ballets. When the overture begins, I start crying. The music of Ludwig Minkus says everything. But you’ll see a different performance on opening night,” said Kim, who confessed he went straight to the technical dress rehearsal from arriving on a 3 am flight in Manila.
“It is my vacation time that’s why I was available when BM invited me to play Solor. But I don’t rest more than two weeks. I take a class everyday before it becomes hard when I return to ballet theater.
“Without love, we can’t dance! There’s positive energy with BM that I like. I’ve danced with Renata for 15 years now; since she did her premiere in Mariinsky. Dancing with her is easy. I just focus on her eyes and everything else follows. Love triangles are hurting. I know coz I’ve experienced it when I was younger,” intimated the Korean principal dancer.
After Manila, Kimin will fly home to Korea where he’ll perform and direct a Don Quixote production in the university where he graduated from.
“You feel several emotions in just one moment in this production. As a little girl, ballet opened a different world for me. It’s also my vacation but I did not want to relax. I do gymnastics and pilates to keep myself in shape.
“Every year, BM’s love for dancing just blossoms. La Bayadere is a drama of two women fighting over a guy. Dancing with Kimin makes us move like one body!” enthused the Russian prima ballerina.
After a short professional gig, Renata and Kimin will fly back to the Philippines for a scheduled trip to Boracay.
La Bayadere opens on August 14, 8 pm at the Aliw Theatre. Two more afternoon shows follow the evening gala on Aug 15 and 16 at 5pm, still on the same venue.



Comments
Post a Comment