Miss Eco Philippines 2021

Kathleen Paton gears up for the country's 2nd Miss Eco crown

By Earl D.C. Bracamonte

Miss Eco Philippines 2021 Kathleen Paton arrived in Egypt in time for the beginning of the pre-pageant activities of the 7th Miss Eco International competition that's currently unfolding at the Jolie Ville Spa & Resort in the King's Island Luxor.

The Fil-Aussie beauty from Nabas, Aklan departed from Manila at 11pm last Saturday night, March 5, en route to Cairo. The competition will run from March 7th through the 18th, with the coronation night slated on Mar 17 (March 18 in the Philippines).

"This pageant platform stresses the importance of climate change. For a global impact from a ripple effect, we must change our habits into more eco-friendly ways. We must create actions right now to mitigate the effects. Let's use social media for the good of all, and influence people in the right way. The things we do, day by day, create environmental issues," intoned the outspoken crusader.

Early this year, Kath visited the beautiful island of Palawan to help in the #OdettePH relief efforts, as well as shoot her eco-tourism video for the international pageant.

"Covid is still here. As an advocate of life, we must learn to appreciate it. Life is not going to be easy with its ups and downs. Don't fear to seek help and build relationships with people. I am my own motivation. The values that my parents taught me is who I am today.

"I'm a staunch advocate of life, in general. I was given a second chance at life. It's a bit dark but, a few years ago, I was given that second chance. I can talk about it. I'm open about it. I just want to share the message that life is beautiful, and you deserve to be here just as much as anyone else, no matter where they are in life.

"It's the message of hope I want to spread, the message of kindness. And to always be kind to people wherever you are, no matter who they are. Because you never know what kind of impact you give to other people. So, when you see someone on the street smile at them. Coz you'll never know what they're going through. That's the kind of advocate of life that I am," shared the Miss Teen International winner of 2017.

"Wearing the Philippine sash is not an easy thing to do. But I'm blessed with all the support. I'll compete to the best of my abilities."

Kath is, likewise, very passionate about her advocacy for mental health. A survivor in more ways than one, she openly admits her not-so-happy past.

"I've had mental issues since I was 18. I was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety. I actually think I had it way before, back in school, in Australia. Luckily, we are now able to realize that the way we are mentally is so important in our productivity every single day - with how we act, how we communicate, and how we see people.

"I actually have an IG account called PONO Society, where I share nuggets of wisdom about how to be better mentally. The word 'pono' is of Hawaiian origin, and it translates, roughly, to 'righteousness.' It's a word that really resonated in me. At the core of this philosophy is embracing yourself, flaws and all. It's also about having a constant gratitude mindset.

"I used to play the violin, but that was when I was 13 or 14, back in Australia. It was during school, one of those once-a-week lessons. I played mostly classical stuff. If I could, I'd love to do that again," enthused the former Miss Manila titleholder.

The Miss Eco International has a Talent Night contest. Fans and supporters are confident that Kath has prepared a piece for her presentation, if not plucking an instrument then crooning a modern tune or two. Unbeknownst to many, she is gifted with a sultry and raspy voice like that of Norah Jones.

Kath is optimistic she'll bring home the country's second Miss Eco International crown, after Cynthia Thomalla's victory in 2018. Stay tuned!


Comments

Popular Posts