Joyce Penas-Pilarsky (JPP)

An artist for all seasons
By Earl D.C. Bracamonte

Deutschland-based fashion designer Joyce Penas-Pilarsky presented her 30-piece floral inspired trunk in the Spring/Summer 2011 forecast show presented during the recently-concluded Philippine Fashion Week at the SMX Convention Center.

The former model, who sashayed on the catwalk in the late '70s, has herself become the helmsman this time around. The designer simply describes her skin-baring silhouettes as 'different and daring.'


“I started preparing the cuts and concept as early as last year then went through the minor changes this year. My collection, now and in the future, will be about colors and how these make the wearer happy. When you go to a garden, and is surrounded by all the beautiful blooms, you're lifted up and feel you're in paradise. So when you wear my clothes, you'll get the same feeling.”

While this is her debut as a couture designer, she is no stranger to the Philippine Fashion Week shows as she has had done accessories for designer-friend John Guarnez's collections twice in a row.
 
Joyce's trunk collection of swimwear, daytime wear, cocktail dresses, and long gowns employed lycra, jersey, laces, taffeta, and stretch chiffon tulle treated with embroidery and patchwork that were all decked by her one-of-kind accessories in gemstones and pearls.
 
Two-piece bikinis and monokinis in jewel tones bore huge floral accents in textile paint and accessories. The floral patterns pervaded the entire collection from start to finish.

Off-the-shoulder mini dresses and frocks with asymmetrical necklines sported ruched bodices. Gossamer shoulder-baring shifts and lacy mesh see-throughs got tedious bow detailing. Back-revealing numbers had tasteful uneven hemlines and tutu skirts. And the piece-de-resistance for the collection was a metallic haltered mini-dress with a wrap-around detachable bustle.
 
“My biggest clientele base is in Germany. After the Philippine Fashion Week, I'll set my sights on putting up a show in Berlin for October 2011. I got into designing clothes when I started receiving requests from my German clients to do dresses that would go with the accessories I made. So now, I'm making both.”

When not designing clothes, Joyce does paintings on her favorite subject: gardens! “I love nature. I love flowers. I'm an environmentalist at heart. Soon, my creations will use highly organic fibers.”

A truly gifted artist, she also dabbles in sculpture, ceramic painting as well as hand painting. Joyce has proven, that with her ambidexterity, she is a woman for all seasons!

Joyce Penas-Pilarsky's creations were presented as part of the Whisper Premiere B all-female collections.

Comments

Popular Posts